Tuesday, August 4, 2015

I Finished Book One of Finnegans Wake – Now What?

Book One of Finnegans Wake is done, and I’ve already begun wading into Book Two. This means, at 230-ish pages down, we have a mere 400 or so pages to go.  Now seems like a good time for some general thoughts.
  1. Book One, comprised of eight chapters, feels like a complete piece. Of course, it’s intended to be the first of the four cycles, so this shouldn’t be a shock. Still, I wonder what else Joyce could have up his sleeve.
  2. The first two chapters of Book Two are reportedly two of the hardest chapters in the novel. It’s unclear how they could be more difficult than several of the previous sections, of which I understood basically zero percent. How can you understand less than nothing of a text? And yet, I don’t really doubt that Joyce pulls it off. He probably figured out a way to remove knowledge from your brain or something. (ed. note—20 pages or so into Book Two now, and it IS exceedingly difficult.)
  3. I’m done with Tindall. In all honesty, I haven’t consulted him since Chapter 6 anyway. He writes as though he is the only authority on the text, but the more I’ve read and the more I understand about Finnnegans Wake, the less I agree with the old codger. Most damningly, the Finnegans Wake you can read about in Tindall is less interesting than the Finnegans Wake I’m holding in my hands. I don’t need someone to make this less interesting for me.
  4. There must be a thousand and one other sources to consult. On the website Original Positions, a blogger recorded his thoughts on each chapter of FW as he read, and I’ve found this to be more enjoyable than dusty ole Tindall. Obviously, the OP blog doesn’t capture a fraction of what’s to be found in the book, but he makes some broad strokes that I find compelling.
  5. I prefer my commentary on Finnegans Wake to grapple with the text, not try to dominate it. Remember that Joyce called this book Work In Progress as it was being written. This was not Joyce being lazy. He wasn’t saying, “Oh, I’ll think of a title when it’s done.” He meant that this new work was alive. Reading it will be an active process for as long as people dare to read it. Finnegans Wake will always be In Progress.
  6. The first episode of the Reading Finnegans Wake podcast was posted shortly after A Year in the Wake began. The podcast performs a very close reading of the text, unpacking the various meanings to be found in single lines. Although I’m far ahead of the reader at this point, the podcast still sheds light on elements that I missed. If you’re not aware, Finnegans Wake is NOT a linear novel, so deepening my understanding of Chapter One has repeatedly enhanced my readings of later segments.
  7. However, if I need a close reading of a segment in a later chapter, both this glossary and this wiki offer interpretations at the cellular level. Sometimes a new perspective on a single word can unlock an entire section. 
  8. This whole book messes with my brain. Last night I read a bit before turning out the light, and spent 20 or so minutes thinking about what I’d read before falling asleep. That quiet thinking about Finnegans Wake took over my mind, and didn’t let go even after I’d fallen asleep. I woke up multiple times in the night feeling like the words in my head were scrambled. How ironic that this book, which many claim is Joyce’s attempt to reconstruct the night, actually makes it more difficult to sleep if I get too immersed in the text.
  9. Finally, I’m not really overwhelmed by the 400 pages, or the three Books, or the nine chapters remaining. What’s daunting is the thought that I’ll still be reading 12 pages a week come February. Miles to go before I sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment